The Global Health Advocacy Incubator (GHAI) provides Civil Registration and Vital Statistics legal reviews and budget advocacy support to improve public health data so that governments are equipped with the tools and systems to collect and use data to prioritize health challenges, develop policies, deploy resources and measure access.
- Conduct legal reviews and develop legal and policy recommendations.
- Provide budget advocacy support and training for civil registration and vital statistics systems.
- Provide technical assistance, advocacy planning and support to implement and advance recommendations.
Where we work:
Current: Bangladesh, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Democratic Republic of Congo, India, Indonesia, the Maldives, Mozambique, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Senegal, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Uganda and Vietnam
Past: Brazil, Cameroon, Colombia, Ecuador, Ghana, Peru, Rwanda, Tanzania and Zambia
- GHAI is providing technical legal assistance to help governments draft new CRVS laws in Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Maldives, Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.
- Based on our legal reviews, new CRVS regulations or policies have been adopted in Brazil, Ecuador, Ghana, Peru, the Philippines, Rwanda and Thailand.
Success Story: CRVSID Reform in Papua New Guinea
It is difficult for countries to obtain the data they need to assess their health burdens and ensure they are reaching their most vulnerable populations, particularly in remote and rural areas. In Papua New Guinea, birth and death registration rates are less than 5%.
The Global Health Advocacy Incubator, in collaboration with other Bloomberg Data for Health partners, developed a Legal and Regulatory Review Toolkit to help countries strengthen their CRVSID systems based on United Nations guidelines. The Toolkit was used to analyze and identify gaps in Papua New Guinea’s CRVS legal framework.
The Constitutional and Law Reform Commission used the Toolkit to draft a new Civil and Identity Registration Bill, which will help decision makers obtain timely and reliable data to ensure the health and rights of all Papua New Guineans.
Funding for this program provided by Bloomberg Philanthropies.
The Latest Data for Health News
MoU with the Maldives Paves the Way for Health Data Systems Strengthening
On December 1, 2022, the Global Health Advocacy Incubator (GHAI) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Maldives' Department of National Registr…
CRVS Workshops in Uganda and Maldives Mobilize Government Leadership for Budget Advocacy
The Data for Health team at the Global Health Advocacy Incubator (GHAI) conducted national workshops in Uganda and the Maldives in September and October to pil…
GHAI Showcases CRVS Legal Reform and Budget Advocacy
GHAI shared the experiences of our Data for Health program during two recent events at global forums in New York City and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Both events fe…