The Global Health Advocacy Incubator (GHAI) advances policy change that saves lives on the road. We address all five of the leading road safety risk factors — speed, drink driving, helmets, child restraints and seat belts — in addition to pressing for stronger regulations on car manufacturers to include critical safety features.
GHAI supports advocates and governments to adopt and implement policies that are proven to prevent needless road crash death and injuries. Using an evidence-based approach, GHAI works with partners to establish sustainable campaigns to achieve health progress. Our activities include:
- Strategic support to civil society coalitions for advocacy and media advocacy campaigns—including political and media landscape mapping, strategic planning and monitoring and evaluation.
- Technical assistance to civil society advocates to identify and strengthen their capacity to change policies that prevent death and injury from road crashes.
- Support to advocacy partners and governments to counter industry opposition.
- Legal analysis and drafting to support local lawmakers creating laws that meet international standards.
Where we work:
Current: Bangladesh, China, Colombia, Ecuador, India, Mexico, Uganda, Ukraine and Vietnam.
Past: Brazil, Philippines, Russia, Tanzania, Thailand and Turkey
- The Philippines’ first child restraint bill for motor vehicles was signed into law in 2019, following a locally-led advocacy campaign. It went into effect in February 2021.
- In India, where more than 231,000 people are killed in road traffic crashes each year, the president signed into law an historic new act to save lives on the country’s roads in 2019.
Success Story: Buckle Up Kids to Save Lives in the Philippines
Thousands of people lose their lives on the roads in the Philippines each year — an unbearable toll that includes children. Car seats can reduce the risk of death in a crash by up to 80 percent for small children, but adults in the Philippines traditionally embrace children in their arms.
The Global Health Advocacy Incubator supported a broad coalition of local partners on the development and implementation of an advocacy campaign to enact a national law requiring the use of child car seats.
The Child Safety in Motor Vehicles Act (RA 11229) was passed by the Filipino legislature in 2018 and signed into law in 2019. GHAI is now working with partners to ensure this new mandatory child restraint law is implemented.
Funding for this program provided by Bloomberg Philanthropies.
The Latest Road Safety News
Advocates in Uganda Mobilize to Save Lives and Prevent Road Crashes
by Jackie Okao and Roxanne Paisible Road crashes are increasing at an alarming rate in Uganda. Crashes have gone up by about 17% from 17,443 in 2021 to 20,3…
New Program Infographics Unveiled on World Health Day
The Global Health Advocacy Incubator (GHAI) is proud to provide strategic and technical support to advocates around the world who are advancing policies and bu…
The Important Role of Civil Society in Advancing Road Safety Policies in Latin America
By Gema Granados and Paola Sánchez The importance of road safety laws Every year, 1.35 million people die because of road crashes worldwide. Most of these de…