The Global Health Advocacy Incubator designs advocacy campaigns that systematically address the human and economic costs of preventable deaths. Developed from decades of experience and advocacy best practices, the Global Health Advocacy Incubator has created a suite of tools that can help you begin an advocacy campaign. Explore some of the tools we can use to develop a customized plan to change policies and save lives, and reach out today to learn how the Global Health Advocacy Incubator can help you further your policy objectives.
Your campaign will start with a smart, informed plan, one that is designed to be flexible enough to adapt to changing conditions on the ground.
The path to a successful advocacy campaign begins with a comprehensive political map.
Media advocacy helps change the narrative surrounding your campaign’s objective.
Campaign Risk Assessment
The advocacy process is dynamic as environments shift, allegiances change and opposition gears up.
Successful implementation is critical to a policy’s sustainability and ultimate impact.
Monitoring and Evaluation
GHAI uses a data-driven, results-focused approach that starts and ends with careful monitoring and honest evaluation.
Sign up to be alerted when new tools are released:
The strategic planning process starts with a deep understanding of your audience, targets and tactics, And includes rigorous indicators, monitoring and evaluation. We also bring together dynamic local leaders and civil society organizations and provide targeted technical assistance at every step along the way.
Every successful strategic plan developed with the Global Health Advocacy Incubator includes:
- Setting clear policy objectives
- Developing strong partnerships
- Understanding the political landscape
- Planning for effective communications
- Accounting for policy development and legal review
- Monitoring and evaluating projects to adjust as needed
This includes every key person, position and moment that will make or break your campaign.
Whether we’re supporting local coalitions focused on passing legislation, reforming a regulation or issuing an executive order, political mapping is the place to start.
In a comprehensive political map, we identify:
- Government agencies and bodies with decision-making power
- Key legislators, coalitions and external influencers in the policymaking process
- Important rules and procedures
- Steps and timelines built around legislative calendars
- Potential supporters and opponents, including motivations and roadblocks
It mobilizes grassroots support, shifts public opinion, inspires elected officials and reshapes the media environment.
Working with thought leaders, communicators, experts and journalists all over the world, we tell the story of public health challenges and solutions. We help your campaign earn policy-focused, issue-specific coverage across a range of media outlets and communications channels to pave the way for policy change.
Some of our media advocacy strategies include:
- Journalism workshops
- Grassroots digital campaigns
- Earned media events
- Integrated paid marketing campaigns
- Media and spokesperson trainings
Advanced planning and preparation is the key to reducing the risk of external events derailing success.
Because of our long history planning, running and winning advocacy campaigns, the Global Health Advocacy Incubator can help partners and coalitions plan for obstacles before they arise. We utilize a carefully honed risk matrix to ensure our partners are ready for anything. It might include:
- Risk assessments, including risk-reward analyses
- Crisis communications plans
- Electoral calendars and timelines at the state, regional and national level
- Resource challenges, including time, capacity and financial resources
Campaign Risk Assessment
That’s why the Global Health Advocacy Incubator doesn’t pass a law and walk away.
Implementation planning can include:
- A revised political map, charting relevant regulatory and enforcement bodies in addition to key personnel in legislative and administrative roles.
- A deep knowledge of international best practices and standards ready for adoption by local, state or national authorities.
- Effective, efficient communications plans utilizing paid and earned strategies to get the word out about new policies.
- Legal teams who have seen the impact small wording changes or regulatory decisions can have on implementation and are prepared to advise government leaders at the highest levels.
That’s because rigorous indicators are the guideposts of a successful advocacy campaign and empower organizations to understand and optimize campaigns in real time.
We support partners as they set clear objectives and work toward meeting them, measuring progress every step of the way. Where campaigns fall short, we see an opportunity to build capacity and adjust strategy to meet the challenges head-on.
Our customized monitoring and evaluation (M&E) plans often include:
- Developing reliable, objective indicators
- Holding regular after-action debriefs
- Finding opportunities for strategic shifts and adjustments
- Holding capacity building exercises and skill-building challenges